Puzzle Rings Glossary
Claddagh | Féde | Gimmal rings
- The Claddagh ring (Irish: fáinne Chladaigh) is a traditional Irish ring which represents love, loyalty, and friendship (the hands represent friendship, the heart represents love, and a crown represents loyalty) . Claddagh rings belong to a group of European finger rings called “fede rings”. Our Claddagh rings are 3-band chain puzzle rings, for Ladies or Men — visit our Claddagh page to see our selection. For further information, see Claddagh Rings on Wikipedia.
- A féde ring is defined as a design of ring in which two hands meet and are clasped in friendship, love, or betrothal. For more information see Fede Rings on Wikipedia.
- A gimmal ring has two or three hoops or links that fit together to form one complete ring. The name gimmal comes from Latin gemellus, twin, via Old French (per Oxford English Dictionary). They were known as joint rings in Elizabethan England. For more information see Gimmal Rings on Wikipedia. jewelry shop wedding rings
Style Designations Demystified
B | Double cross bands on top
- 6 band 6B-L (Ladies) and matching 6B-M (Men’s)
- 9 band 9B-L (Ladies) and matching 9B-M (Men’s)
- 9 band 9BQ-L (Ladies) and matching 9BQ-M (Men’s)
B3 | Triple cross bands on top
C1 | The bands are all wider on top and curvy
- 4 band Ladies ring 4C1-L
C2 | The bands are wider on top but pointy
- 4 band Ladies ring, 4C2-L
C3 | The ring is made using 1/2 round wire instead of round wire
- Search for C3 to view rings of this type
CH | Chain ring, meaning that all bands are linked together to form a chain when the ring is disassembled. Chain rings are very easy to assemble especially with the illustrated instructions that come with each ring.
- Search for CHAIN to see our selection.
D | One of the crossing diagonal bands is wider (the D is at the end of a product descriptor)
- 6 band 6WBD-L (Ladies) and matching 6WBD-M (Men’s)
- 6 band set with diamonds 6WBD.15Dia-L (Ladies) and matching 6WBD.30Dia-M (Men’s)
- 8 band 8WBD-L (Ladies) and matching 8WBD-M (Men’s)
F | Ring comes completely apart, bands not attached
N | Flat Wide Cross Bands:
- Search for 4N, 5N, 6N, 7N, or 8N for rings of this type, although these searches will also inadvertently return rings designated 4NX or 5NG.
- The number before the letter “N” indicates the number of bands in the puzzle.
NX | Wide Cross Bands that curve
- Search for NX to view rings of this type
- In this category, we offer a 4 band Mother’s Ring, 4NX-Harl-L, set with genuine gemstones of your choice in the top band, as well as a 4 band Ladies ring, 4NX-AM-L, set with genuine Amethyst gemstones.
S | Snake rings:
- Search for SNAKE to view our variety of creative and playful snake rings
T | Tight weave:
- Search for TIGHT to see our tightly woven rings
TW | Some of the ring uses twisted wire:
- Search for TWISTED for rings of this type
WB | Wedding Band (flatter tight weave)
- Search for WB for rings of this type
- Also visit our Diamonds and Precious Stones category for many rings, for both Ladies and Men, set with genuine precious stones, and often used as wedding bands
Puzzle Rings jewelry shop wedding rings
Further Details Pending
We’ll be updating this page periodically with additional information, as well as optimizing our search engine so you can find specific examples of the ring types noted above. Stay tuned!